(or other carbonated sodas and sugary drinks)

When I was growing up having a soda was a treat. Usually, I was only allowed to have a Coke or Sprite at family functions or restaurants, and of course the staple- a flat, room temperature Ginger-ale when I was sick. Unfortunately, the American diet has changed and sodas like Coke, Sprite, Mountain Dew and Pepsi are consumed almost daily.

Thanks to commercials, most people are now aware that diet contributes to dental decay (cavities) and erosion, and people being informed of the types of foods and or medications that can change the acid levels in their mouths. But people need to be more aware of not only what they are eating but what they are drinking and the effect their diet has on their teeth.

Did you know that diet sodas are just as bad for your teeth as regular sodas? Or that juice is probably one of the biggest contributors to cavities in young children and infants?

That fact is that the acidity of soda is so corrosive that Coke can be used remove rust. Now imagine every time you sip a soda your teeth are getting a sugar bath in acid. Your mouth is stable at a neutral or more basic PH, But every time you drink beverages with either sugar or Phosphoric acid the PH drops. After drinking these beverages or sipping them it takes about 2 hours for your mouth to return to a normal and safe PH.

The problem lies within the frequency of drinking theses beverages more so than the amount. Most people think small sips throughout the day and savoring their drink is better. This is not the case because your mouth never has the chance to get the PH back to a normal level which equals an acid attack on your teeth all day.

The same thing is now happening with child and infants. Parents are putting juices/sugary beverages in sippy cups or bottles- this is causing what we Termed “Bottle Rot”. These Sugary drinks are given to kids right before bed, or they are allowed to have a bottle for a prolonged Period of time and their teeth are literally rotting out because of this.

So you can’t resist the drink? Well here are some tips to help you:

  • Have these drinks with a meal, while the PH in your mouth is already down due to eating.
  • After drinking these sugary drinks rinse out or sip some water to wash away some of the acidity.
  • Use a fluoride rinse– Fluoride helps the PH get back to Neutral faster.
  • Good oral homecare is a must.
  • Limit and really watch what’s in your drinks and of course everything in moderation.

As a hygienist, even I fall victim to sweets and sodas, but again be mindful of what you’re putting into your body and the effects you have on your own personal health.

Something that May Bring light to how awful the effects of these drinks can be is to Google images on bottle Rot and or Mountain dew Mouth– This may truly scare you straight!

Have additional questions about dental health or how we can help you improve your smile and your confidence? Don’t hesitate to Contact Us or leave a reply below and we will be happy to try and answer them for you!

Lisa Campbell

About Lisa Campbell

Lisa is one of our full time dental hygienists; she joined our team in Jan 2013. She has been practicing hygiene now for the last several years and enjoys trying to make her patients laugh.

Leave a Reply